11 MayLATEST CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
May 2015 – it’s just four months before 144 young Boys and Girls boarders will arrive at Loyola Jesuit Secondary School (LJSS) to begin Form One (Grade Nine). Will we be ready for them? Will they have a classroom for studies? A chapel to pray? A hostel (dormitory) to sleep? A dining room to eat? Will the teachers be nearby?
These are very big questions for all of us associated with LJSS right now. And we are very happy to say: YES, WE WILL BE READY! Thanks to the generosity of donors, the hard work of contractor, architect and teams, the careful oversight of Fr. Aloyz Podgrajsek, S.J. (Project manager) and the prayers of so many, many people, construction of what is needed right now at LJSS has been completed!
When we began with groundbreaking in September 2012, we looked at an empty 22 hectare (50 acre) field – beautiful, but empty!
Today, we can see that field of dreams, crowded with all the necessary Phase One buildings constructed and equipped.
Crowded LJSS campus seen from nearby highway, with Phase One construction completed.
WHAT HAS HAPPENED?
Here is a quick and encouraging overview of what has actually been completed:
- The Administration Block contains offices for the Head Teacher and other officials, with additional offices for teachers and meeting rooms for conferences.
- Eight classrooms and two laboratories provide the learning spaces for Form One and Form Two (Grades Nine and Ten) learners. And temporary library space is also provided.
- Hostels (dormitories) are outfitted with comfortable bunk beds and lockers for all Boys and Girls boarders.
- Kitchen and dining facilities are complete, with the necessary cookers, ovens, pots and pans, tables and benches.
- A large Conference Hall provides space for many gatherings to take place during the school year. It also serves as space for religious services until our Chapel is built in Phase Two.
- Teachers’ housing next to campus is ready to welcome ten new faculty.
- Electricity is connected (with an emergency generator also installed) and municipality water is available with borehole backup.
- And of course there are sports fields for recreation and for training future Malawi football and netball national champions!
All of this good work has been possible through the generous support of so many benefactors, large and small. Church organisations, Jesuit communities around the world, foundations, parishes and schools, businesses, individual benefactors – from all across the globe! And the Government of Malawi has been very cooperative and supportive. We Jesuits connected with LJSS are deeply appreciative of this assistance!
Something that has encouraged all of us involved in setting up LJSS has been the enthusiasm of visitors who come to see what is happening on this site in Kasungu. Surprised at the size of the school’s infrastructure, impressed by the quality of workmanship, challenged by the task of getting this up and running, and moved by the generosity of donors what make all this possible: these are reactions that keep us moving forward.
Just take a look at some of the impressive structures on campus.
Boys’ hostel (dormitory)
Kitchen ready for installation of cookers, etc.
If you would like to help us move forward in our educational commitment to Malawian youth, please let us hear from you. Funds for the construction of Phase Two and for provision of all the necessary furnishings and equipment are still greatly needed! Go to ‘Support Us – on this webpage’ for details of how you can “Help Us”. Thank you!